Gone But Not Forgotten Alumni Way Alumni Way was a path on the east side of campus that linked the athletic fields with the rest of campus. Built in memory of Hamline alumni, it had two cement pillars that marked the entrance. The Holt Tennis Courts are now in its place, with a cement marker imprinted with “Alumni Way” to mark its former location. Carnegie Library Hamline University’s first library was built when a pledge of $30,000 was received from Andrew Carnegie. The architect of the project was Clarence H. Johnston of Saint Paul. Construction began in the fall of 1906 with a corner-laying ceremony on May 13, 1907 that included then governor John A. Johnson as a speaker.An addition to the library was constructed in 1937. In 1972 the Paul H. Giddens Learning Center was built to include the Carnegie Library. The old entrance is now showcased within the building as the entrance to the art gallery. Edyth Bush Theatre While the Edyth Bush Theatre, located on Cleveland Avenue in Saint Paul, is not actually gone, it is no longer a part of Hamline University. Mrs. Edyth Bush, who had received the theatre as a birthday gift in 1940 from her husband, A.G. Bush, , presented the theatre to Hamline University in 1964. It was equipped with a lavish dressing room, state-of the-art lighting equipment, cushioned seats, and air-conditioning. The doorknobs and ceilings were built lower than a standard theatre to accommodate Mrs. Bush’s petite frame. For nearly twenty-five years, the theatre provided the Twin Cities with the first-rate theatre productions. The theatre was sold in 1975 to the Chimera Theatre Company, but now holds offices. Frog Pond/Proposal Rock Frog Pond was located in what is now Newell Park, west of campus on Fairview and Hewitt Avenues, and was a retreat for many Hamline students. It was a favorite place for a stroll, a picnic, and general escape from academic life. A massive boulder, known as Proposal Rock, was a destination as well. The class of 1925 hatched a plan to move the rock to campus as a symbol of romance and as a memorial to their class (and Frog Pond). It proved too weighty a project, however, so a rock moved from Frog Pond by the class of 1886 serves as a substitute. It currently sits in front of the Giddens Learning Center and is chiseled with five sets of class years, in intervals of twenty-five years: 1886, 1911, 1936, and 1986. Goheen Hall/Ladies Hall The original University Hall was the first building constructed on campus, and Ladies Hall was the second, constructed in 1882. It was a three-story brick building, built to house women on the upper floors. The first floor had a parlor, music rooms, and quarters for female professors and the college matron. The basement had a kitchen, dining room, storage room, and laundry room. When University Hall burned down it was used for all classes as well as housing both men and women.In 1895, a time of depression and financial strain, Mrs. Anna Harrison Goheen mortgaged her homestead and loaned the university $5,000 at five cents interest, to help assist in paying for Ladies Hall. The hall was renamed Goheen Hall in her honor on March 3, 1908.In 1923, Goheen Hall became a men’s dorm when the women moved to Manor Hall. It was used for many purposes over the years, including serving as a home to Joe Hutton and his family for seventeen years. It had a rehearsal room for the choir, a bookstore, a post office, a shop for carpenters, a broadcasting center for the campus radio club, quarters for the placement service, and offices and lounges for members of the faculty.Goheen Hall was demolished in 1970 and the Hamline University School of Law now stands in its place. Hamline/Asbury Hospital A new venture was launched in 1940 when Hamline University and Asbury Methodist Hospital of Minneapolis (established in 1892) established the Hamline-Asbury School of Nursing, offering a five-year program (later a four-year) leading to the degree of bachelor of science in nursing. In taking this step, Hamline was moving with a growing trend in the country to provide academic training for women preparing for careers in nursing. A three-year program leading to a diploma in nursing was also offered. In 1949 the Mounds-Midway School of Nursing joined the school, the enlarged institution taking the name of the Hamline University School of Nursing.The School of Nursing, which had won wide recognition for the excellence of its program, was discontinued in 1962 following the decision to concentrate resources and staff on the liberal arts program. The last class in the three-year program graduated in 1960 and the last class in the degree program in 1962. A total of 447 women completed the degree program and received the bachelor of science in nursing degree, and 758 women finished the three-year program and received diplomas in nursing. Medical School The school was established in 1895 when the university took over the Minneapolis College of Physicians and Surgeons. About 300 people received their M.D. degree from the medical school. In 1900, a building was erected at the corner of 5th and 7th Avenue in Minneapolis, which was a part of Hamline until 1907 when trustees voted to merge the medical school with the University of Minnesota Medical School. Old Gymnasium/Ladies Gym The Ladies Gym (later know as the Old Gym) was dedicated on November 30, 1909. It contained a running track nine feet above the floor, new exercise equipment, and a handball court. Directly underneath was a dirt-floor basement excavated for a future swimming pool. It also included a kitchen and serving room on the main floor and a reception and banquet hall on the second floor. There were 400 lockers for men and 100 for women. Later in its history, the gym housed Hamline’s gymnastics team. The second floor banquet hall was used a classroom and office space and the basement was converted into a workout room called the Piper Pit. On July 27, 1998, the building was demolished. Hall of Science The Hall of Science, dedicated on January 5, 1888, was a massive three-story red brick building that stood between Goheen Hall and Old Main. The first building built during Henry Bridgman’s term as president, it contained recitation and lecture rooms, laboratories, lecture rooms, and storage areas. The third floor was a museum of natural history. The basement was used as a mess hall until WWI, when the entire building became a barracks.In 1907, an $8,000 second story was added to the rear wing to house an additional biology lab. The museum on the third floor and several classrooms were used for military squads and sleeping quarters during World War I. The museum itself was gone by the 1930s and was instead used as a theatre. In 1952 the hall, renamed the Social Science Hall, was torn down in 1971. Hall of Science Dig – Excavating Hamline’s History The site of the Hall of Science building is located in the open area between Bush Library, the School of Law, the physical plant, and Old Main. An excavation is being conducted along the original front of the Hall of Science building. This location will allow access to the building foundation and grounds in front of the building. These two areas should yield valuable archaeological evidence of the Hall of Science building.