Modern Architecture A.G. Bush Student Center The $1.2 million structure, dedicated in 1963, connected to the field house by an Olympic-size swimming pool. A.G. Bush, an executive vice-president and chairman of the Executive Committee of 3M (Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company), and a Hamline trustee, contributed $800,00 to the cost of the structure. In addition to the pool, the building featured a ballroom on the second floor and meeting and lounge spaces for students. On May 18, 1981, the HUB (Hamline Underground Basement) snack bar and recreational room opened. This project cost $198,000. During the summer of 1998, with the final stage of construction of the Walker Field House, the post office was moved from the student center to the basement of the field house. The Hamline University bookstore was then able to expand into a much-needed large space on the first floor of the Student Center. The front desk of the student center will receive a “face-lift” in preparation for the 150th anniversary activities in 2004. A.G. Bush Library Constructed with the aid of an $890,00 grant from the U.S. Office of Education, a $517,000 gift from Mrs. Edyth Bush, and a $600,000 gift from the A.G. Bush Foundation, the A.G. Bush Library was dedicated on October 9, 1971. The 83,210-square foot structure was a facility that emphasized curricular flexibility, independent study, and the university’s commitment to internationalism. A fire in 2000 caused more than $3 million worth of damages, and forced the library to close for several months. However, when renovations and repairs were completed, the library saw improved lighting and ceilings, new furniture, carpet, network wiring, as well as additional computers, online research resources and study spaces. The library also houses the university’s archives, which hold thousands of pieces of historical information, including photographs, memorabilia, yearbooks, and letters. Charles M. Drew Fine Arts Building/Anne Simley Theatre The Charles M. Drew Fine Arts Building, built at the cost of $250,000, was dedicated on November 8, 1950. It was constructed around two surplus army Quonset huts that had been donated by Charles Drew in 1947 to serve as the university’s theatre. The south wing, housing the music department, was ready in February of that year and, in the following spring, the art department moved into the north wing. The building unified the departments of the division of fine arts under one roof for the first time in the university’s history. The Quonset huts, which were remodeled in 1966, housed the theatre until the fall of 1981. The $2.5 million dollar structure that replaced them was dedicated on April 22, 1983. It has an expansive stage area, with a proscenium opening of more than thirty-five-feet, seating for 292 people, a green room with monitoring system, dressing rooms for twenty people with shower facilities, a state-of-the-art lighting and sound system and 3,000 square feet of space to build and store sets. It was named the Anne Simley Theatre in 1992, following the death of the long-time theatre professor. Drew Science Drew Science was built largely through the generosity of the Eliza A. Drew Memorial Fund, which provided $500,000 for construction and $85,000 for equipment. It was dedicated in October 1952 and cost a total of $800,000 to construct. It contains classrooms, offices, a lecture hall, and laboratory space. Building renovations in 1994 included the addition of computer labs on the third floor. The mathematics and biology departments are located on the first and second floors, as well as some student office space. In 2001 the large lecture hall was refurbished, including multi-media capabilities and mechanical furnishings. Paul H. Giddens/Alumni Learning Center The Giddens/Alumni Learning Center, named after past president Paul H. Giddens, was dedicated on October 19, 1972. It was originally designed to be two buildings, though only one was constructed. It contains a large auditorium, classrooms, study areas, and lounge space. Built around the former Carnegie Library, its centerpiece is the entrance to the art gallery, the main arches of the old library. Many College of Liberal Arts academic departments are housed here, including anthropology, English, legal studies, and modern languages, philosophy, religion, psychology, education, and sociology. Holt Tennis Courts The Holt Tennis Courts were dedicated on October 9, 1987. The original tennis courts were built in the 1960s and located next to Manor House. The new site includes six tennis courts. Hamline University School of Law Building The Midwestern School of Law began in 1972 and merged with Hamline University in 1976. The Hamline University School of Law Building was dedicated on October 3, 1980. It is a 75,000 square-foot building, constructed at a cost of $5 million, housing most of the law school including the law library and moot court room. It was designed by Hammel Green and Abrahamson, Inc. and was selected as one of Minnesota’s 1981 Architectural Award Winners. A renovation that provided a significant expansion to the law library and additional faculty offices was completed in 1997. In 2001, Annette Levine enabled the moot court room to be completely renovated with a $500,000 gift, the second largest gift for the School of Law. Dwight Opperman donated $300,000 for state-of-the-art technology in the classrooms. Orem O. Robbins Science Center The dedication for the Orem O. Robbins Science Center, a 36,000 square foot, $4.5 million center was held on May 9, 1991. A $1 million grant from the Bush Foundation enabled the purchase of new lab equipment for the building, which holds the chemistry and physics departments, as well as biology labs. A Hamline University trustee since 1979, Mr. Robbins served as board chair and was elected a life trustee in 1990. He and his wife, Annette Strand Scherer Robbins ’36 , have established several endowments for scholarships and programs at Hamline. Pat Paterson Fields The Paterson Fields, dedicated on October 9, 1998, are used by the men’s and women’ s soccer teams, which previously shared a field with the football team. They also hold a baseball practice infield and a fastpitch field, which is named for Helen Meredith. The state-of-the-art irrigation system with a natural turf surface and rapid surface drainage allows extensive use of the fields for varsity games, athletic practices, physical education classes, and intramural games. The fields are named for Pat Garletz Paterson, a 1930 graduate, who taught physical education at Hamline for more than forty years, and Helen Kreutz Meredith, a 1935 graduate, who was part of the health and physical education staff from 1938 to 1945. The Law and Graduate School Building & Conference Center The Law and Graduate School Building, dedicated on October 10, 1997, includes classrooms, study areas, and conference facilities as well as offices for the School of Law and Graduate School of Public Administration and Management. It features the Student Administrative Services Office, which offers a “one-stop shop” cashier, registrar, financial aid, and student accounts services to students. Lloyd W.D. Walker Fieldhouse Gordon A. Walker donated a lead gift of five million dollars to enable construction to begin in the fall of 1996 on the $8.5 million field house, which was named in memory of his father. During the dedication on March 31, 1998, art professor Michael Price, unveiled the bronze sculpture of Lloyd W.D. Walker, which is now displayed in the front lobby. The Walker Fieldhouse includes a three-court gymnasium, which accommodates recreation and athletic practices for tennis, track, baseball, fast pitch, basketball, and volleyball. In addition, the fieldhouse includes a fully equipped gymnastics room, an indoor running track, an extensive strength and fitness area, locker rooms, three racquetball courts, and a state-of-the-art sports medicine room.